Significant indicators of UBC Material Engineering’s high-calibre research activity are its number of research chairs. Each of these prestigious appointments has been made by either industry or government to individuals within the faculty with whom these funding bodies have the utmost confidence. Their mandate in all cases is to advance the frontier of knowledge within their fields in areas identified as of the utmost critical concern to industry and/or society.
- Alcan Chair in Advanced Process Engineering – Warren Poole
- Chair in Hydrometallurgy – David Dreisinger
- Dofasco Chair in Advanced Steel Processing – Matthias Militzer
Canada Research Chairs (CRC)
- Tier 1 CRC in Advanced Fibrous Materials – Frank Ko
- Tier 2 CRC in Biomaterials – Rizhi Wang