Canada Research Chair in Through Process Modelling of Advanced Structural Materials
Professor and Director of Manufacturing Engineering Program
Rio Tinto Aluminium Chair in Materials Process Engineering
B.E.Sc. (Western), Ph.D. (McMaster), P.Eng.
Advanced aluminum alloys, high strengths, high formable steels. metal matrix composites, microstructure/property models
Current Research Work
The dream of the materials engineer is the ability to truly engineer the required properties of a material by careful control of processing. For example, a phenomenal range of properties can be achieved in steels and aluminum alloys by changing deformation and thermal processing conditions. Traditionally, this has been done in an empirical manner, however, the opportunity now exists to develop physically based computer models for complex industrial processes. Our work focuses on developing fundamental understanding where it is lacking and importantly integrating knowledge in a systematic approach.
Mechanical behaviour of two-phase materials
This work involves a variety of model structures ranging from two-dimensional metal matrix composites to systems where co-deformation of the second phase is possible. An experimental approach closely linked to finite element method calculations is used to develop fundamental understanding of the interaction between the two phases. In some cases, the question of length scales becomes of fundamental importance in which case dislocation mechanics must be incorporated into the analysis.
Primary collaborators: M. Militzer (UBC), M.A. Wells (Waterloo), Rio Tinto, ArcelorMittal Dofasco, U.S. Steel Canada
Refereed Journal Publications
- J. Jain, P. Cizek, W. J. Poole and M. R. Barnett “The role of back stress caused by precipitates on twinning in a Mg-6Zn alloy”, accepted Mat. Sci. Eng. A, August 31, 2015.
- Y. Mahmoodkhani, M.A. Wells, W.J. Poole, L. Grajales and N.C. Parson. “The development of grain structure during axisymmetric extrusion of AA3003 aluminum alloys”, accepted Metall. Mater. Trans. A.
- G. Martin, C.W. Sinclair, W.J. Poole and Azizi-Alizamini, “Local plastic strain heterogeneities and their impact on the ductility of Mg”, J. Metals, vol. 67, pp. 1761-1773, 2015.
- M. Sohi, W.J. Poole, C.W. Sinclair and M. Gallerneault, “The yield strength of a twin-belt cast Al-Mg-Sc-Zr Alloy after annealing”, Mater. Sci. Tech., vol 31, pp. 460-467, 2015.
- A. Araki, W.J. Poole, E. Kobayashi and T. Sato. “Changes of Bauchinger effect and initial work hardening rate in the Cu-Ni-Si alloy”. Do to Dogokin, vol. 53, pp. 68-72, 2014 (in Japanese).
- M. Kulakov, W.J. Poole, M. Militzer, “A microstructure evolution model for intercritical annealing of a low-carbon dual phase steel”, ISIJ International, vol. 54, pp. 2627-2636, 2014
- Y. Mahmoodkhani, M.A. Wells, N.C. Parson, C. Jowett and W.J. Poole.” Modeling the formation of transverse weld during billet-on-billet extrusion”, Materials, vol. 7, pp. 3470-3480, 2014.
- A. Araki, W.J. Poole, E. Kobayashi and T. Sato. “Twinning Induced Plasticity and Work Hardening Behavior of Aged Cu-Ni-Si Alloy”, Materials Transactions, vol. 55, pp. 501-505, 2014.
- S.Y. Lee, H. Wang, M.A. Gharghouri, G. Nayyeri, W. Woo, E. Shin, P.D. Wu, W.J. Poole, W. Wu and K. An, “Deformation Behavior of Solid-Solution-Strengthened Mg-9wt.%Al Alloy: In-Situ Neutron Diffraction and Elastic-Viscoplastic Self-Consistent Modeling”, Acta Mater., vol. 73 , pp. 139-148.
- Y. Mahmoodkhani, M.A. Wells, N.C. Parson, W. J. Poole, “Mathematical modelling of the flow behavior and thermomechanical history during extrusion of AA3003 aluminum alloys”, J. Mater. Proc. Tech., vol. 214, pp. 688-700, 2014.
- L.J. Colley, M.A. Wells and W.J. Poole, “Microstructure-Strength Models for Heat Treatment of Al-Si-Mg Casting Alloys I – Microstructure Evolution and Precipitation Kinetics”, Cdn. Metall. Quarterly, vol. 53, pp. 125-137, 2014.
- L.J. Colley, M.A. Wells and W.J. Poole, ” Microstructure-Yield Strength Models for Heat Treatment of Al-Si-Mg Casting Alloys II – Modelling Microstructure and Yield Strength Evolution”, Cdn. Metall. Quarterly, vol. 53, pp. 138-150, 2014.
- R.K.W. Marceau, A. de Vaucorbeil, G. Sha, S.P. Ringer and W.J. Poole. “Analysis of Strengthening in AA6111 during the Early Stages of Aging: Atom Probe Tomography and Yield Stress Modelling”, Acta mater., vol. 61, pp. 7285-7303, 2013.
- A. de Vaucorbeil, C. W. Sinclair, W.J. Poole. “Dislocation Glide Through Non-Randomly Distributed Point Obstacles”, Phil Mag., vol. 93, pp. 3664-3679, 2013.
- A. de Vaucorbeil, W. J. Poole and C. W. Sinclair. “The superposition of strengthening contributions in engineering alloys”, Mat. Sci. Eng. A, vol. 582, pp. 147-154, 2013.
- Q. Du, W.J. Poole, M.A. Wells and N. Parson, “Microstructure evolution during homogenization of AA3xxx alloys: Modeling and experimental results”, Acta Mater., vol. 61, pp. 4961-4973, 2013.
- J. Jain, P. Cizek, W. J. Poole and M. R. Barnett “Precipitate characteristics and their effect on the prismatic slip dominated deformation behaviour of an Mg-6Zn alloy”, Acta Mater., vol. 61, pp. 4091-4102, 2013.
- M. Kulakov, M. Militzer and W.J. Poole. “Effect of the initial microstructure on recrystallization and austenite formation in a DP600 steel”, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, pp. 3564-3576, 2013.
- P. Tomlinson, H. Azizi-Alizamini, W.J. Poole, C.W. Sinclair and M.A. Gharghouri. “Bi-axial deformation of the magnesium alloy AZ80”, Metall. Mater. Trans. A., pp. 2970-2983, 2013. (special invited paper for viewpoint on Phase Transformations and Deformation of Magnesium).
- M. Habibnejad-Korayem, R. Mahmudi and W.J. Poole. “Work hardening behavior of Mg-based nano-composites strengthened by Al2O3 nano-particles”, Mat. Sci. Eng. A, vol. A567, pp. 89-94, 2013.
- M.Gaudet and W.J. Poole. “Tensile and fracture properties of X80 linepipe steel”, Iron and Steel Technology,vol. 9, pp. 99-104, 2012, (Feature Article).
- J. Jain, W.J. Poole, and C. W. Sinclair. “The deformation behaviour of the magnesium alloy AZ80 at 77 and 293 K”, Mat. Sci. Eng. A, vol. A547, pp. 128-137, 2012.
- Q.Du, W.J. Poole and M.A. Wells. “A Mathematical Model Coupled to CALPHAD to Predict Precipitation Kinetics for Multi-Component Aluminum Alloys”, Acta Mater., vol. 60, pp. 3830-3839, 2012.
- B. Raeisinia and W.J. Poole. “Modelling the elastic-plastic transition for polycrystalline metals”, Modelling and Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. vol.20, 015015, 14pp., 2012.
- M. Maalekian, R. Radis, M. Militzer, A. Moreau, W. J. Poole. “In situ measurement and modelling of austenite grain growth in Ti/Nb-microalloyed steel”, Acta Mater., vol. 60, pp. 1015-1026, 2012.
Refeered Conference Proceedings
- Q. Puydt, M. Kulakov, W.J. Poole, L. Collins, and S. Kenny. “Experiments and finite element method results on the deformation response of an X80 weld zone”” IPC, Calgary 2014. Feb 3, 2014.
- J. Reichert, M. Militzer, W.J. Poole and L. Collins. “A new approach using EBSD to quantitatively distinguish complex transformation products along the HAZ in X80 linepipe steel” IPC, Calgary 2014. Feb 3, 2014. (Selected as finalist in best student paper competition).
- W.J. Poole, M.A. Wells, H. Azizi-Alizamini and N.C. Parson “Through process modelling of extrusion for AA3xxx alloys” Materials Science Forum Vols. 794-796, pp 682-690, (2014) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Y. Mahmoodkhani, M.A. Wells, L. Grajales, W.J. Poole and N.C. Parson, Nick; “Material Flow and Grain Deformation During Extrusion”, Materials Science Forum Vols. 794-796, pp 664-669, (2014) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- J. Chen, W.J. Poole and N.C. Parson. “The effect of homogenization conditions on extrusion texture and microstructure evolution in AA3003”, Materials Science Forum Vols. 794-796, pp 1127-1132, (2014) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- C. Liu, H. Azizi-Alizamani, N.C. Parson and W.J. Poole. “The effect of Mn on microstructure evolution during homogenization of Al-Mg-Si-Mn alloys”, Materials Science Forum Vols. 794-796, pp 1199-1204, (2014) Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- A. de Vaucorbeil, W.J. Poole and C.W. Sinclair. “The Effect of Obstacle Strength Distribution of Obstacles on the Critical Resolved Shear Stress of Engineering Alloys”, accepted, ICAA-14, June 2014.
- M. Militzer, T. Garcin and W.J. Poole. “In-situ measurement of grain growth and recrystallization by laser ultrasonics”, 5th Int. Conf. on Recrystallization and Grain Growth, Sydney, Australia, May 5-10, 2013.
- M.J. Gaudet and W.J. Poole. “Tensile and fracture properties of X80 steel microstructures relevant to the HAZ”, Proceedings of the 9th International Pipeline Conference IPC2012September 24-28, 2012, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in press. (Selected as finalist in best student paper competition).
- K. Jonsson, D. G. Ivey, H. Henein, S. Nafisi, L. Collins, T. Garcin and W.J. Poole. “The effect of microstructure on tensile behaviour of X80 microalloyed steel”, Proceedings of the 9th International Pipeline Conference IPC2012September 24-28, 2012, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in press. (Selected as finalist in best student paper competition).