To apply to enter the Materials Engineering Graduate Studies Program:
- Contact prospective supervisors
- Refer to the UBC Application Guide for tips on applying and more.
- Apply online: MASc/MSc & Ph.D – Faculty of Graduate Studies or MEL- Master of Engineering Leadership
- Application distributed by Materials Engineering to prospective supervisors
- Offer of admission from the Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Agreement letter from the Materials Engineering Department
How to find a supervisor
Securing the supervisor is a vital step to your application. Check the faculty directory and then contact the faculty members whom you consider to be the best match. Tell them about your interests and background. Ask if they are currently accepting new students and if they have funding available to support an additional graduate student and their research. Indicate the name of the prospective supervisors on the application form and in the letter of intent. If you cannot contact potential faculty members, please list them so we can make sure that they get your application.
Application and Supporting Documents
Complete the online application form.
Read tips on applying, reference letters, Statement of Interest, reaching out to prospective supervisors, interviews and more in UBC’s Application Guide!
International students must also submit original TOEFL or IELTS scores. Our minimum requirement for TOEFL is 90 (R22, L22, W 21, S21) computer-based or 560 paper-based. The IELTS minimum is an overall score of 6.5 with no band below 6. We do not require the GRE. For information contact www.toefl.org.
On the IELTS application form you will be asked to specify institutions where you would like the results being sent to. To ensure UBC receives your results correctly, you have to use the following details on the application:
Name of institution: University of British Columbia
Name of person/department: Graduate School Admissions
Address: 170-6371 Crescent Road, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
Complete applications will be sent to all prospective supervisors that you suggest. You will be notified as to whether or not there is a faculty member able to supervise you (i.e. has funding for your stipend and research costs). If affirmative, an agreement letter will be sent to you from the Materials Engineering Graduate Program Office.
Supporting documents checklist:
- TOEFL/IELTS (if applicable, please refer to UBC Graduate School English Language Test guidelines). Our institutional code is 0965, and the department code is 73.
Please contact the Graduate Studies for application deadlines.