B.Sc. (UBC), Ph.D. (UBC)
Currently I work as an instructor. I do not run an independent research group; I have no research funds. Part of my work involves assisting graduate students, research staff, visiting scientists and undergraduate research assistants with their research projects. I began my work in the hydrometallurgy group as a research associate. This involved carrying out numerous research projects under the direction of Professor David Dreisinger. The research projects were aimed at understanding fundamental and applied aspects of hydrometallurgical processes. The work has allowed me to continue to develop an understanding of applied chemistry relevant to hydrometallurgy and experimental laboratory skills. Some significant projects that I have been involved with over the years include:
- Initial work on studies of the kinetics of reduction of selenate in copper sulfate-sulfuric acid electrolytes by cuprous ion. The work was carried on at the PhD level by a graduate student.
- Nickel and cobalt recovery from a tailings waste slurry using ion exchange. An extensive project was undertaken to determine technical feasibility of the process. The results were promising and it was recommended that a pilot scale process be pursued.
- In 2003 I was granted a six-month leave of absence to work on a proprietary solvent extraction project for Placer Dome, Inc. My work involved extensive experimentation to provide suitable preparation for pilot plant work. Pilot plant work began in the final month.
- Work on an ion exchange process for removal of iron from copper electrowinning electrolytes. The work involved developing experimental procedures for testing the effectiveness of various ion exchange resins and acquiring the relevant data. The results formed the basis for pilot plant testing. The process has been operated industrially.
- In 2002, I was granted a three-month leave of absence to work on aspects of a gold recovery project for Placer Dome, Inc. During this time I was asked to be a member of a team of researchers working on a proprietary project.
- Experimental work on the solvent extraction of hydrogen cyanide aimed at developing a process for recovery and recycle of cyanide from gold cyanidation solutions. This work provided a foundation for further developments and patenting.
- Solvent extraction-electrowinning process for the recovery of copper and cyanide from copper-gold ore leach solutions. The work was funded by a number of companies. Laboratory work was carried out on the various unit operations to establish suitable conditions for the process. Lab scale continuous testing was carried out on numerous occasions. As the work progressed it was presented at a number of conferences.
- During my work at UBC I have developed or modified numerous chemical analysis methods that are relevant to hydrometallurgy. These have continued to be of use to graduate students in the hydrometallurgy laboratories as well as to people in other research organizations.
Applied chemistry of extractive metallurgy, specifically hydrometallurgy
Refereed Journal Publications
- Mokmeli M., Dreisinger D. B., Wassink, B., Modeling of selenium and tellurium removal from copper electrowinning solution, Hydrometallurgy, Volume 153 (2015) pp 12-20.
- Mokmeli M., Dreisinger D. B., Wassink B., Thermodynamics and kinetics study of tellurium removal with cuprous ion, Hydrometallurgy, Volume 147-148 (2014), pp 20-29.
- Mokmeli M., Wassink B., Dreisinger D. B., Kinetics study of selenium removal from copper sulfate-sulfuric acid solution, Hydrometallurgy, Volume 139 (2013), pp 13-25.
- Mokmeli, M., Wassink, B. and Dreisinger, D. Equilibrium cuprous concentrations in copper sulfate- sulfuric acid solutions containing 50-110 g/L Cu+2, 10-200 g/L H2SO4 at 50-95°C, Hydrometallurgy, 121-124, (2012), 100-106.
- Wassink, B., Dreisinger, D.B. and Howard, J., “Solvent Extraction Separation of Zinc and Cadmium from Nickel and Cobalt Using Aliquat 336, a Strong Base Anion Exchanger in the Chloride and Thiocyanate Forms”, Hydrometallurgy 57 (2000), 235-252.
- Legzdins, P., Richter-Addo, G.B., Wassink, B., Einstein, F.W.B., Jones, R.H. and Willis, A.C., “Organometallic Nitrosyl Chemistry. Part 38. Insertions of Electrophiles into Metal-Carbon Bonds: Formation of New Carbon-Nitrogen Linkages Mediated by the (5-Cyclopentadienyl)-dinitrosylchromium Group”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1989, 111, 2097-2104.
- Cardaci, G., Reichenbach, G., Bellachioma, G., Wassink, B. and Baird, M.C., “Mechanism of Carbonyl “Insertion” Reactions of the Compounds cis-MMeX(CO)2(PMe3)2 (M = iron, ruthenium; X = Iodo, Cyano). Stereochemistry at the Metal Centers”, Organometallics, 1988, 7, 2475-2479.
- Legzdins, P.; Wassink, B., Einstein, F.W.B. and Jones, R.H., “Organometallic Nitrosyl Chemistry. 35. Cyclopentadienylethyldinitrosylmolybdate Anion, a Novel, Prototypal 19-Electron Nitrosyl Complex”, Organometallics, 1988, 7, 477-481.
- Legzdins, P. and Wassink, B., “Organometallic Nitrosyl Chemistry. 36. Synthesis and Properties of Anionic and Neutral Radical Complexes Containing CpM(NO)2 Groups (M = Cr, Mo or W)”, Organometallics, 1988, 7, 482-493.
- Wassink, B., Thomas, M.J., Wright, S.C., Gillis, D.J. and Baird, M.C., “Mechanisms of the Hydrometalation (Insertion) and Stoichiometric Hydrogenation Reactions of Conjugated Dienes Effected by Manganese Pentacarbonyl Hydride: Processes Involving the Radical Pair Mechanism”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1987, 109, 1995-2002.
- Legzdins, P., Wassink, B., Einstein, F.W.B. and Willis, A.C., “Organometallic Nitrosyl Chemistry. 28. Insertion of the Nitrosonium Ion into a Chromium-Methyl Bond”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1986, 108, 317-318.
- Legzdins, P. and Wassink, B., “Organometallic Nitrosyl Chemistry. 21. Redox Properties of Bis[(5-Cyclopentadienyl)dinitrosylchromium] and Related Complexes”, Organometallics, 1984, 3, 1811-1817.
- Legzdins, P.; Martin, D.T., Nurse, C.R. and Wassink, B., “Organometallic Nitrosyl Chemistry. 19. Protonation vs. Oxidative Cleavage of the Isoelectronic Complexes [(5-C5H4R)M(LO)2]2 (M = Cr, Mn or Fe; L = C or N; R = H or Me) by HBF4”, Organometallics, 1983, 2, 1238-1244.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Dreisinger, D.; Vaughan, J.; Lu, J.; Wassink, B. and West-Sells, P., “Treatment of the Carmacks Copper-Gold Ore by Acid Leaching and Cyanide Leaching with SART Recovery of Copper and Cyanide from Barren Cyanide Solution,” Proceedings of Hydrometallurgy 2008, 6th International Symposium, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Aug. 17-20, 2008, 740-749.
- Shaw, R.D.; Arnold, S.; MacDonald, S.L.; Dreisinger, D. and Wassink, B., “The Development and Commercialization of Ion Exchange Applications in Hydrometallurgy,” accepted for publication in Proceedings of the International Ion Exchange Conference, July, 2008.
- Shaw, R.; Illescas, J.; Dreisinger, D. and Wassink, B., “Ion Exchange for Electrolyte Purification in Copper Electrowinning and Electrorefining,” Proceedings of the 6th International COPPER-COBRE Conference, Toronto, Canada, Aug. 25-30, 2007.
- Wassink, B.; Neufeld, M.; Dreisinger, D., “Towards a Resin-in-Pulp Process for Recovery of Nickel and Cobalt from Laterite Leach Tailings: An Iminodiacetic Acid Ion Exchange Resin as a Prospective Resin,” Proceedings – International Water Conference, 67th, Pittsburg, PA, Oct. 24-26, 2006, IWC-06-33, 11 pp, Publisher: Engineers’ Society of Western Pennsylvania.
- Shaw, R.; Vance, S.; Illescas, J.; Dreisinger, D. and Wassink, B., “Ion Exchange for Iron Impurity Control in the Base Metal Industry,” Iron Control Technologies, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Iron Control in Hydrometallurgy, 3rd, Montreal, QC, Canada, Oct. 1-4, 2006, 757-769.
- Wassink, B.; West-Sells, P.; Dreisinger, B. and Fisher, N., “Leaching of a Gold Ore Using the Hydrogen Sulfide-Bisulfide-Sulfur System,” Treatment of Gold Ores, Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Treatment of Gold Ore, Calgary, Alberta, Aug. 21-24, 2005, 229-241.
- Wassink, B.; West-Sells, P.; Dreisinger, B. and Fisher, N., “Leaching of a Gold Ore Using the Hydrogen Sulfide-Bisulfide-Sulfur System,” Treatment of Gold Ores, Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Treatment of Gold Ore, Calgary, Alberta, Aug. 21-24, 2005, 225-241.
- Larmour-Ship, K.; Buchalter, E.; Dreisinger, D.; Wassink, B.; Hackl, R.; Hames, M. and Grinbaum, B., “Cyanide Recovery by Solvent Extraction in a Continuous Pilot Plant,” Treatment of Gold Ores, Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Treatment of Gold Ore, Calgary, Alberta, Aug. 22-24, 2005, 469-496.