B.A., Ph.D. (Cambridge), P. Eng
Polymer matrix composite materials, damage growth in service, processing science for efficient manufacturing
Current Research Work
Polymer matrix composites
My main area of research to date has been polymer matrix composite materials. The two most important areas of concern with composite materials are damage growth in service and processing science for efficient manufacturing. I have been involved with both these important topics, using a closely coupled experimental and theoretical approach. My research has spanned a wide range of topics, as I have tried to develop a global appreciation of the issues facing composite materials. We now have a very good experimental and numerical modelling facility, with good industrial and government contacts.
As my own background is primarily experimental, I have developed a close and tightly coupled research program with a colleague, Dr. Reza Vaziri. Dr. Vaziri brings to our collaboration a strong solid mechanics background, including numerical modelling, whereas my contribution is on the materials, physical and experimental side.
The key issue for the next decade will be the commercial viability of polymer matrix composite materials. In early years, I was heavily involved in the characterization of ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene fibres for use in composite applications. Our close connection to the manufacturer of this fibre (Allied-Signal), as they explored markets for this new fibre, highlighted the interrelationship between material properties, design, and market penetration. Since then, close interaction with other companies and organizations (eg Boeing, DND, Pacific Safety Products) as they evaluate the usefulness of composite materials for their applications, or endeavour to improve their production has emphasized the importance of developing our basic scientific understanding to the point at which it is useful for engineering decisions.
I see my research in the future to be an extension of our current work on processing, damage growth in impact and fatigue, and other issues of interest in composite materials and structures. A growing realization is that the next level of materials research, especially for composites, will be at the component or structural level. At this level, the interaction of material and structure and process becomes important and can significantly influence engineering decisions. In addition, there will be increasing emphasis on synthesizing our knowledge (whether generated at UBC or elsewhere) so that we can answer key questions asked by users regarding design, processing, in-service behaviour, maintainability and repair. By formalizing and applying basic scientific methodology to applied problems, we may be able to make knowledge-intensive composite materials an engineering success, rather than a scientific showcase.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Zobeiry N., Vaziri R., Poursartip A., Characterization of strain-softening behaviour and failure mechanisms of composites under tension and compression, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol 68 Pages 29-41, Jan 2015
- A. Forghani, N. Zobeiry, A. Poursartip, and R. Vaziri, ‘A Structural Modelling Framework for Prediction of Damage Development and Failure of Composite Laminates’ Journal of Composite Materials, Vol 47, Issue 20-21, pages 2553-2574 Sept 2013
- N. Zobeiry, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘Computationally Efficient Pseudo-Viscoelastic Models for Evaluation of Residual Stresses in Thermoset Polymer Composites During Cure’, J. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol 41, Issue 2, 247-256, 2010
- A. Bebamzadeh, T. Haukaas, R. Vaziri, A. Poursartip and G. Fernlund, ‘Application of Response Sensitivity in Composite Processing’, J. Composite Materials, Vol. 44, No: 15 , pp. 1821-1840, Jul 2010
- Li, XQ; Hallett, SR; Wisnom, MR, Zobeiry, N, Vaziri, R., and Poursartip A., ‘Experimental study of damage propagation in Over-height Compact Tension tests’ Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol 40, Issue 12, 1891-1899, 2009
- A.R.A. Arafath, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘Closed Form Solution for Process-Induced Stresses and Deformation of a Composite Part Cured on a Solid Tool: Part II – Curved Geometries,’ J. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol 40, Issue 10, 1545-1557, 2009
- A. Bebamzadeh,, T. Haukaas, R. Vaziri, A. Poursartip and G. Fernlund, ‘Response Sensitivities and Parameter Importance Studies in Composites Manufacturing’ J. Composite Materials, Vol 43, Issue 6, 621- 659, 2009
- X. Xiao, C. McGregor, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘Progress In Composite Tube Crush Simulation’, Int. J.Impact Engineering, Vol. 36, Issue 5, pp. 711-719, May 2009
- C. McGregor, N. Zobeiry, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘A Constitutive Model for Progressive Compressive Failure of Composites,’ J. Composite Materials, Vol. 42, No. 25, pp. 2687-2716, December 2008
- A.R.A. Arafath, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘Closed Form Solution for Process-Induced Stresses and Deformation of a Composite Part Cured on a Solid Tool: Part I – Flat Geometries,’ J. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 39, Issue 7, pp. 1106-1117, July 2008
- C. McGregor, R. Vaziri, A. Poursartip and X. Xiao, ‘Simulation of Progressive Damage Development inBraided Composite Tubes under Axial Compression,’ J. Composites Part A., Vol. 38, pp. 2247-2259, November 2007
- W.R. Novotny, E. Cepus, A.Shahkarami, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘Numerical Investigation of the Ballistic Efficiency of Multi-Ply Fabric Armours During the Early Stages of Impact’, Int. J. Impact Engineering Vol. 34, pp71-88, 2007
- Speirs AD, Oxland TR, Masri BA, Poursartip A, Duncan CP, Calcium phosphate cement composites in ·revision hip arthroplasty, Biomaterials, Volume 26, Issue 35 , December 2005, Pages 7310-7318
- N. Zobeiry, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘Differential Implementation of the Viscoelastic Response of a Curing Thermoset Matrix for Composites Processing’, Trans of ASME, J. Engineering Materials & Technology, Vol. 128, pp. 90-95, January 2006
- Twigg, G., Poursartip, A., and Fernlund, G., “Tool-part Interaction in Composites Processing. Part II: Numerical Modelling” Composites Part A 35 (11) pp135-141, 2004
- G. Fernlund, A. Osooly, A. Poursartip, R. Vaziri, R. Courdji, K. Nelson, P. George, L. Hendrickson, J. Griffith,”Finite element based prediction of processs-induced deformation of autoclaved composite structures using 2D process analysis and 3D structural analysis, Composites Structures 62 pp223-234, 2003
- Twigg, G., Poursartip, A., and Fernlund, G., “Tool-part Interaction in Composites Processing. Part I: Experimental Investigation and Analytical Model” Composites Part A 34 (11) 2003
- Twigg, G., Poursartip, A., and Fernlund, G., “An Experimental Method for Quantifying Tool-part Shear Interaction During Composites Processing” Composites Science and Technology 63 (13) pp1985-2002, 2003
- K. Williams, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘A Physically Based Continuum Damage Mechanics Model For Thin Laminated Composite Structures’, Int. J. Solids and Structures, 40 9 pp2267-2300 May 2003
- Li, H., Foschi, R., Vaziri, R., Fernlund, G., and Poursartip, A., “Probability-Based Modeling of Composites Manufacturing and its Application to Optimal Process Design”, J Comp Mat, V36, 16, pp 1967-1991, Aug 2002
- Grande, D., Avery, W., Cepus, E., and Poursartip, A., “Instrumented Impact Testing of lnline Skates”, SAMPE Journal, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp 8-14, Mar-Apr. 2002
- G. Fernlund, N. Abdel-Rahman, R. Courdji, A. Poursartip, K. Willden, and K. Nelson, “Experimental and numerical study of the effect of cure cycle, tool surface, geometry, and lay-up on the dimensional fidelity of autoclave-processed composite parts”, Composites Part A: Manufacturing, 13, 3 (2002) pp. 341-351
- G. Fernlund, J. Griffith, R. Courdji, and A. Poursartip “Experimental and numerical study of the effect of caul sheets on corner thinning during autoclave processing of composite laminates”, Composites Part A: Manufacturing, 13, 3 (2002) pp.411-426
- Paris, I., Bennett, R., Mager, M. and Poursartip, A., “A Technique for Measuring Delamination Crack Tip Behaviour in Composite Materials Inside a Scanning Electron Microscope”, ASTM Journal of Composites Technology and Research, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp 165-177, July 2001
- Johnston, R. Vaziri and A. Poursartip, ‘A Plane Strain Model for Process-Induced Deformation of Laminated Composite Structures’, J. Composite Materials, 35(16), pp. 1435-1469, August 2001.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- N. Zobeiry, A. Forghani, C. McGregor, R. Vaziri, A. Poursartip, “Progressive Damage Modelling of Composite Materials under both Tensile and Compressive Loading Regimes”, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Mechanical Response of Composites’, Porto, Portugal, 12–14 September 2007, P. P. Camanho et.al. (eds.), 17p.
- Novotny, W., Cepus, E., Shahkarami, A., Vaziri, R., Poursartip, A. ‘Numerical Modelling of the Early Impact Behaviour of Multi-ply Fabric Armours’, in WIT Transactions on Engineering Sciences, Vol. 49, Impact Loading of Lightweight Structures, M. Alves & N. Jones (Editors), 18p., 2005.
- S.P. Engelstad, R.W. Koon, J. Action, J.M. Riga, A.M. Waas, D. Robbins, R.W. Dalgarno, A.R. Arafath and A. Poursartip, “Integrated Computational Materials Engineering for Airframe Composite Structure Applications”, 56th AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Jan 2015
- J. Fabris, and A. Poursartip, “Knowledge in Practice: The Next Step in Reducing Risk in Composites Manufacturing and Design”, Design, Manufacturing and Applications of Composites Tenth Workshop 2014: Proceedings of the Tenth Joint Canada-Japan Workshop on Composites, August 2014, Vancouver, Canada · DEStech Publications, Inc, 2015
- R. Thorpe . C. Lynam, A. Arafath, and A. Poursartip, “Trust: Efficient And Effective Materials Characterization For Process Simulation”, Proceedings of SAMPE Annual Technical Conference, Seattle, Washington, June 2-5, 2014
- J. Fabris, D. Lussier . M.Zobeiry, C. Mobuchon, and A. Poursartip, ” Development Of Standardized Approaches To Thermal Management In Composites Manufacturing”, Proceedings of SAMPE Annual Technical Conference, Seattle, Washington, June 2-5, 2014
- C. Li, N. Zobeiry, K. Keil, S. Chatterjee, and A. Poursartip, “Advances In The Characterization Of Residual Stress In Composite Structures”, Proceedings of SAMPE Annual Technical Conference, Seattle, Washington, June 2-5, 2014
- C. Mobuchon, C. Keulen, K. Hsiao, G. Fernlund, and A. Poursartip, “Development Of A Structured Approach To Porosity Management In Composites Manufacturing”, Proceedings of SAMPE Annual Technical Conference, Seattle, Washington, June 2-5, 2014
- X. Xu, M.R. Wisnom, S.R. Hallett, N. Zobeiry, S. Leslie, A. Poursartip, and R. Vaziri, “Stacking Sequence Effects In Over-Height Compact Tension Tests Of Quasi-Isotropic Laminates, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Composite Materials, Montreal, Canada, July 28-August 2, 2013, p5004-25011
- N. Zobelry, R. Vaziri, and A. Poursartip, “Strain-Softening Response Of Laminated Composites Under Compression”, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Composite Materials, Montreal, Canada, July 28-August 2, 2013, p2103-2110
- M. Haghshenas, R. Vaziri, and A. Poursartip, “Numerical Applications And Verification Of An Integrated Flow Stress Model In Processing Of Thermoset Composites”, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Composite Materials, Montreal, Canada, July 28-August 2, 2013, p1125-1132
- R. Thorpe and A. Poursartip, “Experimentally Determining The Viscoelastic Behavior Of A Curing Thermoset Epoxy”.Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Composite Materials, Montreal, Canada, July 28- August 2 . 2013, p1997-2002
- A · Forghani. N. Zobeiry, R. Vaziri, S.R. Hallett, M.R. Wisnom, ‘Extracting the Strain Softening Response of Composites Using a Detailed Finite Element Analysis as a Virtual Digital Image Correlation Technique’ COMPTEST 2013, Aalborg, Denmark, 22-24 April 2013