Scholarships and Awards
There is a range of scholarship opportunities for undergraduate students in Materials Engineering, with a number of Department awards as well as UBC, government and industry awards.
In the past year, over $25,000 was awarded to students through Department awards. This represents a high level of funding for the size of the Department. The awards included funds from:
- The Metallurgy Trust Fund
- Christina Lim Huckvale Memorial Fund
- DeBeers Scholarship in Materials Engineering
- Frank Forward Memorial Scholarship in Metallurgy
- J. Fred Muir Memorial Scholarship in Engineering
All students with a grade average above 80% received some sort of scholarship.
In addition, undergraduates in Materials were successful in securing UBC, government and industry awards including:
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum Awards
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA).
The Department participates in the NSERC USRA program, which provides funding for students to work as research and lab assistants for a term, and gives them a valuable opportunity to participate in new research.
More information about the Department awards is available from the Head of the Department.
For information about non-Department awards: NSERC USRA program
Information about other scholarships, awards and bursaries is available from UBC Student Services