B.A.Sc, Ph.D., P.Eng
Modeling of industrial materials processing including:
- Heat Transfer
- Fluid Flow
Microstructure Materials processing models employed for process control
This research in industrial materials processing is focused on three areas including low-pressure die casting of A356 wheels, Direct Chill (DC) casting of AA5182 sheet ingots, and hot rolling of AA5083 sheet. The overall goal of these projects has been to develop mathematical models of the industrial processes capable of predicting the evolution of temperature, stress, microstructure and/or defects at various stages in each process. New research directions including understanding and incorporating the impact of fluid flow in the low-pressure die casting and DC casting process models are also being pursued.
Primary Collaborators: Steve Cockcroft (UBC), Mary Wells (U of Waterloo), Rio Tinto Alcan, Corus, Canadian Autoparts Toyota Inc.
Process modeling has become a common technique to improve and optimize industrial processes. These mathematical models which describe the evolution of process variables such as temperature and pressure can now be used to reliably predict defect formation. Similarly, advances in control theory have lead to widespread use of online control for the majority of industrial processes. In some applications, the need for a sustained level of production and a long history of trial-and-error manual control are perceived as barriers for the implementation of intelligent control strategies. In some of these cases even robust regulatory control will provide tremendous benefits.
The goal of this research is to develop a control solution for an industrial process application using a mathematical process model for its tuning and validation. A suitable mathematical model for low pressure die casting of aluminum alloy wheels has already been developed during a prior research program at the University of British Columbia. This mathematical model will act as a ‘virtual’ cyclic process for control and allow the assessment of several control strategies for reducing casting defect formation. The long term goal of this project is to implement the researched control solution in the plant and determine the efficiency of using process models to setup and tune industrial control solutions.
Primary collaborators: Mihai Huzmezan (UBC), Duncan Meade (UDL), Canadian Autoparts Toyota Inc.
Refereed Journal Publications
- J. Duan, C. Reilly, D.M. Maijer, S.L. Cockcroft, A.B . Phillion, “Development of an Optimization Methodology for the Aluminum Alloy Wheel Casting Process”,Metallurgical and Materials Transactions!;!, March 2015 , In Press.
- J. Ou, S.L. Cockcroft, D.M. Maijer, L. Yao, C. Reilly, A. Akhtar , “An Examination of the Factors Influencing the Melting of Solid Titanium in Liquid Titanium “, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, March 2015, In Press.
- N. Haghdadi, A.B. Phillion, D.M. Maijer, “Microstructure Characterization and Thermal Analysis of luminum Alloy B206 During Solidification”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction A, doi: 10.1007/s11661-015-2780-0, February 2015.
- J. Ou, A . Chatterjee, L. Yao, S.L. Cockcroft, D.M. Maijer, “Study of Melting Mechanism of a Solid Material in a Liquid”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer , Vol. 80 pp. 386-397 , January 2015.
- F. Farhan Mehr, C. Reilly, S. Cockcroft, D. Maijer, R. MacKay, “Effect of chill cooling conditions on cooling rate, microstructure and casting/chill interfacial heat transfer coefficient for sand cast A319 alloy”, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, Vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 288-300, October 2014 .
- M.J. BQy, D.M. Maijer, “Response of A356 to warm rotary forming and subsequent T6 heat treatment”, Materials Science and En ineerin A , Vol. 611, pp. 223-233 , August 2014.
- Zhao, C. Reilly, L. Yao, D.M. Maijer, S. Cockcroft, J. Zhu, “A Three-Dimensional Steady State Thermal Fluid Model of Jumbo Ingot Casting during Electron Beam Re-melting of Ti-6Al-4V”, Applied Mathematical Modelling Vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 3607-3623 , July 2014.
- J. Duan, C. Reilly, D.M. Maijer, S.L. Cockcroft, “Development of a 3-D Filling Model of Low Pressure Die Cast Aluminum Alloy Wheels”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 44A, pp. 5304-5315 , December 2013.
- C. Reilly, J. Duan, L. Yao, D.M. Maijer, S.L. Cockcroft, “Process Modeling of Low-Pressure Die Casting of Aluminum Alloy Automotive Wheels”, JOM, Vol. 65, No. 9, pp. 1111-1121, July 2013.
- M.J. Roy, Y. Nadot, D.M. Maijer, G. Benoit, “Multiaxial fatigue behaviour of A356-T6”, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, doi: 10.1111/j.1460-2695.2012.01702.x, June 2012.
- M.J. Roy, D.M. Maijer, L. Dancoine, “Constitutive behaviour of as-cast A356”, Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 548, pp. 195-205, June 2012.
- E. Khaj eh, D.M. Maijer, “Permeability evolution during equiaxed dendritic solidification of Al- 4.5wt%Cu”, Modelling and Simulation of Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 20, no. 3, 18pp., April 2012 .
- E. Khaj eh, D.M. Maijer, “Permeability of dual-structured porous media”, The Open Transport Phenomena Journal , Vol. 3, pp. 56-61, October 2011 .
- * E. Khajeh and D. M. Maijer, “Permeability of dual-structured hypoeutectic aluminum alloys”, Acta Materialia, Vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 4511-4524 , April 2011 .
- * M.J. Roy, Y. Nadot, C. Nadot-Martin, P.-G. Bardin, D.M. Maijer, “Multiaxial Kitagawa Analysis of A356- T6”, International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 823-832, June 2011.
- X. Shi, D.M. Maijer, G.A. Dumont, “Determination of the Optimal Location to Monitor Temperature in a Low Pressure Die Casting Process”, Materials Science and Technology, Vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1073-1083, June 2011 .
- * E. Khajeh and D.M. Maijer, “Inverse analysis of eutectic nucleation and growth kinetics in hypoeutectic Al-Cu alloys”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 42A, pp. 158-169, January 2011.
- E. Khajeh and D.M. Maijer, “Numerical determination of permeability of Al-Cu alloys using 3D geometry from X-ray microtomography”, Materials Science and Technology, Vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1469-1476, December 2010.
- E. Khajeh and D.M. Maijer, “Physical and numerical characterization of the near-eutectic permeability of aluminum-copper alloys”, Acta Materialia, Vol. 58, no. 19, pp. 6334-6344, November 2010.
- M.J. Roy, D.M. Maijer, R.J. Klassen, J.T. Wood, E. Schost, “Analytical Solution of the Tooling/ Workpiece Contact Interface Shape During a Flow Forming Operation”, Journal of Materials Process Technology, Vol. 210, no. 14, pp. 1976-1985, November 2010.
- * H. Hao, D.M. Maijer, M. A . Wells, Andre Phillion, S.L. Cockcroft, “Modeling the Stress-Strain Behavior and Hot Tearing During Direct Chill Casting of an AZ31 Magnesium Billet”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 2067-2077, August 2010.
- P. Li, P.D. Lee, D.M. Maijer, and T.C. Lindley, “Quantification of the Interaction within Defect Populations on Fatigue Behavior in an Aluminum Alloy”, Acta Materialia, Vol.57, no. 12, pp. 3539-3548, July 2009.
- H. Hao, D.M. Maijer, and R. Rogge, “Investigation of residual strains by neutron diffraction in an AZ31 direct chill cast billet”, NDT&E International, Vol.42, pp. 704-712, June 2009.
- B. Azadi-Borujeni, R.K.N.D. Rajapakse, and D.M. Maijer, “Modeling of the cyclic behaviour of shape memory alloys during localized unstable mechanical response”, Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 18, 12pp. June 2009 . doi:10.1088/0964-1726/18/7/074005
- O. Lashkari, L. Yao, S.L. Cockcroft and D.M. Maijer “X-Ray Microtomographic Characterization of Porosity in Aluminum Alloy A356”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 40A, no. 4, pp. 991- 999, April 2009 .
Refereed Conference Publications
- F. Farhang Mehr, S.L. Cockcroft, C. Reill , D.M. Maijer, “Evaluation of the Casting/Chill Interface Thermal Behaviour during A319 Alloy Sand Casting Process”, TMS 2015 Conference Proceedings, Orlando, USA, March 2015.
- M. Mohseni, A .B. Phillion, D.M. Maijer, “Constitutive Behaviour of Aluminum B206 in the As-Cast State”, TMS 2015 Conference Proceedings, Orlando, USA, March 2015 .
- J. Ou, S. Cockcroft, D. Maijer, L. Yao, C. Reilly, A . Akhtar, “A Coupled Thermal-Fluid Flow Multicomponent Model to Simulate the Melting/Dissolution of Solid Ti-Al in Liquid Titanium during Electron Beam Melting”, Light Metals Production The 53rd Annual Conference of Metallurgists (COM) , Vancouver , September 2014 .
- H. Khadivinassab, P. Fan, C. Reilly, L. Yao, D.M. Maijer, S.L. Cockcroft and A.B. Phillion, “Study of the Macro-scale Solute Redistribution Due to Liquid Metal Feeding Durin the Solidification of A356”, Light Metals Production, ProcessiAg and Applications Symposium , The 53r Annual Conference of Metallurgists (COM), Vancouver, September 2014 .
- J. Duan, C . Rilley, D. Maijer, S. Cockcroft, A. Phillion, “Optimization of Die Cooling in the Aluminum Alloy Wheel Casting Process”, Advances in Materials Manufacturing Symposium , The 53rd Annual Conference of Metallurgists (COM), Vancouver, September 2014 ,
- N. Haghdadi, A .B. Phillion, D.M. Maijer, “Thermal Analysis of B206 Aluminum Alloy During Solidification ,” Processing and Applications Symposium, The 53rd Annual Conference of Metallurgists (COM), Vancouver , September 2014 .
- M.J. Roy, D.M. Maijer, J. Zhao, “Fatigue characterization of Flowformed A356-T6 “, MATEC Web of Conferences , EDP Sciences, Vol. 12, 3 pages, June 2014.
- M.I. Houria, Y . Nadot, R. Fathallah, M.J. Ro , D.M. Maijer, “Mean stress effect under Multi-Axial High Cycle Fatigue loading for cast A356-T6 alloy”, MATEC Web of Conferences, EDP Sciences , Vol. 12, 1 page, June 2014 .
- J. Ou, S. Cockcroft, D. Maijer, L. Yao, C. Reilly, A. Akhtar, “An Examination of the Thermally Related Factors Influencing the Melting/Dissolution of Solids in Liquid Titanium”, 2014 Annual Meeting Supplemental Proceedings, TMS, pp. 113-120, March 2014.
- A.A. Pandhari, P.V. Barr, D. Maijer, S. Chiartano, “Modeling Cracking in Refractory Materials Due to Thermal Cycling”, UNITECR 2013: Unified International Technical Conference on Refractories, American Ceramic Society, 8 pp., September 2013.